Heather Arundel

The Diva of Darkness

Salton Sea Sunset Photo by Ron Niebrugge

Salton Sea Sunset Photo by Ron Niebrugge
The Beauty of Hell...

Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights - also known as my personal life motto!

All Human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Who I am...

I am a wife. I am a mother. I am a survivor.
My family has made me who I am...my past family with past hurts...my current family with current joy.
Family is something you are born into and cannot choose,
family is also what you choose it to be once you are old enough to start anew...

Followers

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Plot Twist

I love to read books, but it seems that most of the books I read are pretty predictable.  I would venture to say - formulaic.  So I ask, how important is the plot twist?  In order for a book to be FANTASTIC, is it necessary to have that "thing" that comes out of left field and hits you upside the head?  Or perhaps, is it more important to tell a story well, and plot twists be damned?

As I mentioned yesterday, I am participating in NaNoWriMo and spent last night mapping out my story and flushing out my characters.  I will begin to write today, after the kids are at school.  My issue occurred when I finally went to bed and spent the remainder of the night fretting that the story follows a predictable curve.  My subject matter, however, is NOT something I have seen in books before; but I'm seeing (by the blogs I read!) that there is A LOT out there that I have yet to read! 

So, if I'm dealing with topics like revenge, spiritual beliefs, pedophilia, sex slavery, and the friendship between a little girl of 9 and the kick-ass woman who kills the girl's sick captor; is that "fresh" enough?

I ask you, my wonderful readers, because you all seem to be well versed in current reads and I'd love to hear your opinion!

Good luck to all of you that are also participating in NaNoWriMo, I hope you are successful in finishing what proves to be a dynamic challenge!

3 comments:

  1. I think plot twists are overrated. If your story goes to an unexpected place, then that's twist enough. And what you might consider a predictable curve might be way out there to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Revenge is over done, pedophilia is taboo (no one touches it), sex slavery is mostly done in erotica unless you are talking about the kind that is non-consensual with safe words or whatnot. If so, then that subject is also taboo. But the kind where a woman and a guy get dressed up and are really respectful to each other and then go into a role-playing thing is popular in erotica. I will tell you what is bordering on cliche. The pedophile priest. So if your pedophile happens to be a man of cloth...I would suggest you try another profession (perhaps politician...if so make him Republican). har har.

    Best of luck with nano. I'm sure that whatever comes from your pen will be wonderful, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If a story is good enough I'm really not bothered whether or not I see the twist coming :-)

    ReplyDelete